Saturday, June 30, 2007

Eight Things About Me



I’ve been tagged again. I’m a good sport so I’ll play, however, this is a bigger problem than I realized. I mean, I’ve put most everything out there already, but Lori has tagged me so I’ll give it a shot.

The rules:

Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.

People who are tagged need to write in their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.

At the end of your blog post, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.

Don't forget to leave them a comment in their blog telling them they've been tagged, and to read your blog.

And here we go…………………….

1. I like my dogs better than most people. Yeah, I’m one of those crazy ladies who treats their animals like kids. I mean I don’t dress them up or take them for rides in strollers or any nutty stuff, but the reality is, they ARE my kids. Fur-kids who can’t talk and won’t live as long as I do, but kids, nonetheless. Fur-kids who totally depend on me, love me and would do anything for me. It’s hard to find people who are as reliable, dependable, loyal, loving, care taking, playful, enjoyable and fun as my dogs. How many people think I’m the greatest thing that ever walked the earth, that I am perfect, that I always look good, that I always smell good, that I always do the right thing, that never question me, never argue with me, always want to cuddle and kiss at any time of the day or night, will protect me and would lay down their lives for me? Not too many humans applying for that job. But my dogs? They are so there.

2. Every week I get a professional massage. I know it’s decadent but I don’t care. It helps my arthritis and we submit the bills to our flexible spending account and get reimbursed. I also know that I’m deluding myself about the reimbursement thing. We’re taking money from the left pocket and putting it in the right pocket, but somehow, it makes me feel better.

3. I used to do lots of canning. Tomatoes, peaches, green beans, jams….all kinds of things. I had all the supplies: millions of jars and rings and seals, a canner and on and on. I don’t do it anymore. Too much work. But during those years, we sure had good green beans in the middle of winter.

4. I’ve had one heck of a lot of jobs in my lifetime. I’ve been a secretary, clerk typist, policy typist, medical transcriber, administrative assistant, medical insurance biller, office manager, sales person, shelf stocker, health administrator, planning analyst, project manager, veterinary assistant, student, receptionist, telephone operator, tutor, auto mechanic, babysitter, gardener and, finally, college professor. There’s probably a few more, but I can’t think of them right now.

5. I’ve had severe sunburn, sun stroke and sun poisoning, all three of which have needed doctor’s care at various times in my life. You’d think I would learn after a while that my skin and the sun don’t get along well together. But no, I had to fall asleep on the diving board over the pool in Palm Springs and spend the day on the beach with no sunscreen protection, among numerous other idiotic adventures. The blisters were truly impressive. Think watery pancake sized pain. Nowadays, I use my sun screen faithfully, work hard at staying cool, primarily on the golf course, and also work hard at remembering I’m not 20 years old anymore and skin cancer is a real possibility. I truly have difficulty remembering that I’m an old fart with sensitive skin. I tend to think I’m tough as nails, which is a joke.

6. I’ve narrowly avoided jail on several occasions. The details are irrelevant, but suffice it to say, that “walking on the wild side” has always had a certain appeal to me. Fortunately, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve also gotten wiser. I DO NOT wish to follow in Paris Hilton’s footsteps. Therefore, nowadays, I am a law abiding citizen and a good girl. I’m not ready to pay the consequences for being otherwise.

7. I used to be an avid square dancer. Loved it and was quite good at it, if I do say so myself. I got rhythm!! Finally quit after a few years because of the knees and because I was tired of “beating off the guys”. When I put on that big ole circle skirt with all those petticoats, matching top, ruffled panties and dancing shoes, the guys just went wild. Go figure. They always want what they can’t have.

8. Back in my errant youth, I was on a woman’s pool team. Pool, as in cue stick and eight ball. I was pretty good and I used to have lots of trophies. We played against teams from other bars and won money. Because I was good, I hustled guys for amusement. They had no business being in a woman’s bar in the first place, so I never felt bad about taking their money. They never believed a woman could play pool. At least they didn’t believe it until I ran the table, called the pocket, dropped the eight ball and took their money. Then they believed it. They didn’t always take being “whipped” with good grace. I once had a guy come after me with his pool stick. I stood up to him and mouthed off and he backed down. I was very impressed with myself until I looked behind me and realized I had an entire bar full of women, cue sticks in hand, at my back. He didn’t want to take us all on. Sisterhood. Ain’t it grand?

Okay, there’s my eight things and whew! I had to work hard to think of them. There’s only so much “interesting” stuff about me, you know?? And, who says this stuff is even interesting?

Anyway, since I agreed to play along, I’ll tag Askalesbian, Big Mama, Blogs are Stupid, Fairly Odd Mother, From The Back Nine, Green Eggs and Pam, Joy Unexpected and My Minivan is Faster Than Yours. I’ll lay off my poor family for a while. I always tag them for stuff and they’re probably getting sick of it.




5 comments:

Hahn at Home said...

That was great! Thanks for humoring me - I'm not memey, so don't worry I'll be bugging ya' bunches.

I was a dart league girl myself, though I have a pool table and dart board sharing space in the big room in the house. My indulgence outside of responsibility. Don't go to bars anymore.

I've had almost as many jobs as you--but not quite.

Thanks for sharing!

AskALesbian said...

Thanks for the tag! I'm terrified, but flattered.

I think you pulled out some very interesting facets of your "herstory".

Regards!

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Hi Lucy!

Thanks for the tag. I have a "7 things" tag to complete from PDX Mama, so I think I'll add them together and just write 15 factoids about me! Oh God, you all are going to be so sick of me!

It may take me a little bit, but I will do the meme as soon as I can. Thanks!!

Pam said...

Thanks for the tag, LM! Enjoyed learning more about you and will make a point of never challenging you to a game of pool, or at least not one where money is involved. Maybe I can think of 8 things about myself if I ever get my brain back...

Boo7 said...

Hiya Lucy's Mom!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Great list you came up with....always nice to learn a bit more about blog folks....:) Loved your description of your dogs being your kids....too true!!