Wednesday, January 7, 2009

In Minnesota They Play Golf In The Snow With Colored Balls.......

I play golf a lot. At least once a week. That’s once a week twelve months a year. Remember, I live in Southern California. Even when the weather is slightly insane (remember the snow?) it always goes back to “normal” which is warm, sunny and mild. The big golf clothing decision is usually shorts? Or long pants? It doesn’t get much more complicated than that. I have wind shirts of all colors. Most have been worn once, maybe twice. Cold, wind, rain, snow, etc. etc. is not much of an issue in Southern California.

However, my future, those retirement years that we all look forward to, involves moving back East to be close to the family. Who wants to grow old 3000 miles away from those you love? After all, it’s not just anybody who will change your Depends. That takes family and love or else a lot of money. I don’t have a lot of money, hence the ageing process needs to be near family.

Don’t misunderstand. I’m a “youngster” by today’s standards of ageing. I feel great, I’m full of energy, I’m still working, but I worked in healthcare for many years and I now teach healthcare. Therefore, I can easily see the possible handwriting on the wall. I hope I age as well as my mother who is in her 80’s and perking right along quite nicely. I hope to still be golfing when I’m in my 80’s but, just in case, it seems prudent to live near family and loved ones, all of whom are younger than me. I am a planner by nature and this seems like a good plan.

However, all this is really beside the point of this post. The point is, how will I live in a place where “winter” really means winter? Where it’s cold and rainy, or maybe snowy, and the golf courses close down for months at a time?

I can’t imagine not doing outdoor activities whenever I feel like it. We plan outdoor events with never a thought for the weather. The Hollywood Bowl has no cover. Rain? So rare it isn’t an issue. Cold? I have coats, but then I live in the high desert ABOVE L.A. so it does get pretty nippy. I just drive down the hill to “normal” L.A. weather, 45 minutes away, and then we play golf. How will I deal with the phenomenon of real winter for months at a time?

I see a Florida vacation home in my future. Winter golf is a must. I must look up the exact definition of "Snow Bird."

7 comments:

Jan Ross said...

Oh, it would be nice for someone in the family to have a beach vacation home. I MIGHT come to visit now and then.

Back Nine said...

Retirement, Huh? These days the word strikes me as one of those concepts from the good old days. We've all heard of it, but none of was will practice it. Unless your pension, IRA, 401K or what have you is a whole lot healthier these days than mine.

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , perhaps curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://avezyjyxi.builtfree.org/dybonom.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense to get income with a sum that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For quite a long time, I earn money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and I started with funny 500 bucks.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Turn to my web site to get additional info.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good evening

We do not agree with this year BRIT awards decision.

Please come to see our little poll

http://micropoll.com/t/KDqOnZBCWt

Lady Gaga can not be better than Madonna

Poll supported by BRIT awards 2010 sponsor femmestyle
[url=http://www.femmestyle.ch/schoenheitschirurgie/bruststraffung/index.html]bruststraffung[/url]

BRITs.co.uk - tickets left standing!! This Competition is now closed
OK

Anonymous said...

[p]The number of hues, designs, frames, variations and measurements makes MJ a brand name of sunglass to watch out for . These sunglasses possess a metallic frame with round lenses and also the Oakley Sunglasses logo is embossed in golden [url=http://www.sunglassesssale.com]ray ban sunglasses outlet[/url] about the arms of the model . Oakley sunglasses which have more square or rectangular frames are perfect and colour is a good way to inject some dimension . 5 minutes to spare whilst my the Optician passed my particulars to the assistant . A product like Oakley Sunglasses Sale could be far more pricey than some other sunglasses but they are most likely to very last lengthier and be far more tough than a number of the rival items . might not necessarily be as uptodate for typically lily of the [url=http://www.sunglassesssale.com]ray ban wayfarer sunglasses[/url] valley All lily of the valley ten-cent oakleys for our picture exactly lily of the valley same . Consequently the significance of picking Oakley sunglasses that brings out your greatest facial functions . Polarization is just 1 of the a lot of proprietary technologies that Oakley [url=http://www.sunglassesssale.com]cheap ray ban sunglasses[/url] infuses into it's sunglasses . Don't leave it till the last minute; search for your ideal pair now, and there is no easier way than online.[/p][p]This keeps them in the hands of only those people who are interested in quality and style, not really value . There is hardly a photo of all these guys without their Oakley or even Dior eyeglasses . Knowing that you're [url=http://www.sunglassesssale.com]ray ban sunglasses sale[/url] wearing a premium brand, you can be confident that you will look and feel good . COS2104 Shades: These aviator style sunnies for ladies have a unique attract them . The relaxing theme from [url=http://www.sunglassesssale.com]ray ban sunglasses[/url] "A Lost Child" and "Mei Is Missing" also merits return listens for its ability to take all your worries away . Pepe just by the sound waves to screen a lot of damage, pale, mouth hanging bloodshot, there is no speed sensitive as before, even so, the speed of screen Pepe Zhang Xiaoqiang, but still slightly faster than a chip, his hands the Mouse King flashing blade again and again, instantly cut off the two tentacles . Look for sunglasses with interchangeable lenses . Dark cloudy days can still be glary.[/p]